Hit the Road. Play Outside
For those who prefer the path less travelled. TractionLife is about hitting the road and enjoying life. We speak to new car buyers and motor-enthusiasts who prefer the unbeaten path, paving their own way in search of adventure, culture, and the best in gear.
From informative, useful info on the journey to buying that new vehicle, to engaging stories and features in the world of motors and beyond, our readers are discerning men who think independently, live an active lifestyle, and value their time above everything else.
A Premium Publisher in the Motor and Lifestyle Niche
With so much fluff and inaccurate info online these days, we take pride in putting quality first with a focus on our editorial approach -- we're a small team, but no excuses. As members of the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada, we keep our standards in check.
Credible + Independent Voice
A team of award-winning journalists and contributors for an award-winning, independent website -- nobody likes a show off but we're proud our ongoing work and the things that differentiate us from the pack.
Churning out high-volume, watered-down content to keep up with the numbers is not our style, even if our traffic takes a hit. We realize today's reader demands more, from a great user-experience to terrific, informative, and entertaining content. We work hard to hit those points.
Clean Design for Higher Brand Impact + Well-Optimized for Users and Search Engines
We're diligent and work hard on our on-page/off-page SEO optimization practices.
> 2016 Kia Best Website Award (AJAC Awards, Niagara-on-the-Lake)
> 2012 Nissan Best Website Award (AJAC Awards, Niagara-on-the-Lake)
> 2000+ pages/images indexed with Google
> 550+ quality backlinks (OEMs, GlobeDrive, Bikeexif.com, Forums, Beyond.ca...)
> A Google News Syndicate Partner
> Authoritative Domain: 6 years old
AUDIENCE & ACQUISITION
Our Target Market:
Everything we do -- from our tone and style to the content we publish -- all revolves around specific Personas of men shopping for a new vehicle. From young, single professionals to established, career-driven fathers, they all value their time, do their research, demand the best, and generally live a positive, active lifestyle.
> English-speaking, North American Men, Aged 25 - 54
> In-Market Car Buyers in the Consideration/Research Stage of the Sales Funnel
> Discerning Men who Value their Time and their Chosen Lifestyles - from Adventure-seekers to Busy Dads (or both)
Top 4 In-Market Segments of our Readers from Sept. to Dec. 2016:
Autos & Vehicles/Motor Vehicles/Motor Vehicles (Used)
Autos & Vehicles/Motor Vehicles/Motor Vehicles (New)
Travel/Hotels & Accommodations
Autos & Vehicles/Auto Parts & Accessories
GOOGLE ANALYTICS: SEPT. 2016 - DEC. 2016
Growing our audience - the right way
We're focused on gaining readership through earned media channels (organic search, direct, newsletter) with support from owned (social marketing); paid media with the right budget coupled with our content helps us reach a bigger, more defined audience.
- Earned: great content leads to more shares, reposts, and social love. Plus, all the search traffic.
- Owned: our social channels are our most prominent owned properties.
- Paid: from Facebook to Outbrain, we use paid media primarily for client campaigns and select promotions.
KPIs and Key Metrics
Our goal is to provide high-quality long-form content that keeps visitors engaged and remain on our site. So we focus on key metrics like higher time on site, a low bounce rate, and quality visitors.
Owned/Earned (Unpaid) Metrics for Feb.2017:
Social Media Channels:
Social media has become a Pay to Play proposition where promotional budgets are required to reach our follower base and be visible in their news feeds. We have a significant, relevant follower count across the major social networks we can tap into.
- Facebook does very well for us and our clients when content is promoted and appears in reader feeds; good, targeted reach and high engagement to our 9,000 active followers.
- Twitter works best to share our work with the brands, from lifestyle to the automakers.
- Pinterest is our best owned channel for unpaid engagement with daily Pins and activity via 670+ targeted followers subscribed to our various Boards the past 5+ years.
- User-generated news link site Reddit helps distribute our content to highly-targeted interest groups.
- Our Google+ base is small but will occasionally see good engagement depending on content.
- While LinkedIn works well for more industry-type features including interviews.
- Recently, we setup our Instagram account with plans to grow this year.
- Other social channels we use include Digg, Scoop.it, Delicious, Pocket, Flipboard, and others.
Targeting New Car Buyers + Offering More
5 Main Silos of Content:
Our content strategy is simple: provide car shoppers with useful, unbiased information that goes beyond buyer guides mixed with other compelling features and news we know they'll enjoy (and crave) -- from gear, adventure, culture, and more.
Every website is different. After years of publishing content (and testing), we've established a content strategy and mix that works best for us, blending long-form features with shorter pieces across different categories, which can be broadly split into Informative and Entertaining content.